The different Bitcoin Cash development teams did not reach an agreement regarding important consensus changes. Therefore, on November 15, at approximately 4:40UTC (Epoch 15423000000), Bitcoin Cash suffered a hard fork, resulting in separate Bitcoin Cash chains that implement no replay protection between each other: one following the rules of the BitcoinABC implementation, and one following the rules of the BitcoinSV implementation.
Coinomi offers support for both. In the app they are called "Bitcoin Cash (BCH)" and "Bitcoin SV (BSV)". Other services may refer to those as "BCHABC" and "BCHSV" respectively, but despite the different name they are the exact same thing. Your coins were always safe, and any BCH you had prior to the hard fork are now duplicated on the BSV chain.
About replay protection:
There is no replay protection between the BCH (ABC) and the BSV chains. This means that, unless you properly "split" your coins, transactions you make with one of those coins will also be made on the other.
Sending unsplit BCH will result in the same amount of BSV being sent to the same address (and vice-versa). The receiving wallet may not be prepared to accept BSV into their address, so there is a possibility of loss of BSV coins. This is not an issue specific to Coinomi, as any other wallet you use is under the same risk.
How to split coins:
Splitting is only necessary if you had a positive BCH balance before November 15th. If you received either BCH or BSV after that date, they are most likely already split.
- Receive a new deposit into your BCH wallet of BCH that is already split. The easiest way is to receive BCH from an exchange.
- After transaction from (1) is confirmed, copy your current BCH "receive" address and send your full BCH balance to it.
- Done. This should be enough for your coins to be split. This process only has to be done once. After your coins are split, they are split forever, and further deposits you receive will also most likely already be split.
You can check that the split was successful by following the "claim" guide below up to step 6. If the split was successful, you will not see the two transactions made above on your BSV wallet. You can proceed if you do not see them. If you see the two transactions you made above on your BSV wallet, do not proceed! This means your coins are not split and they are still at risk of being replayed!
How to claim BSV coins:
Only do this if your coins are already split, otherwise the transaction will happen with both coins.
- After your coins are split, open your BCH wallet and select "account details"
- Select and copy the "derivation path" value on the screen that will open. The default is "M/44H/145H/0H", use whatever value you see in your wallet.
- Close the account details screen and open the left side menu. Select "+coins" and then "BitcoinSV".
- Select the white "gear" icon to the right of the coin name (on Android), tap "advanced settings" and on the "Derivation Path" field paste the derivation path you copied on step 2
- Confirm the path, then tap the "+" button to add the wallet (on iOS select "Add Coin").
- This should open the BSV wallet with all the same transaction history and balance as your BCH wallet up to Nov 15th. If you had BCH before the fork but see no BSV transaction history, you most likely entered the derivation path incorrectly. Delete this newly added wallet and restart the claiming process.
- Open the left side menu again, and add a new BSV wallet, this time without changing any settings.
- Copy the "receive" address of that default wallet
- Open the "M/44H/145H/0H" BSV wallet, and send all BSV to the address copied on step 8
- After the transaction confirms, delete the "M/44H/145H/0H" BSV wallet.
If you have more than one BCH wallet in Coinomi, you will need to repeat the claiming process for each one.
Note that during such forks, scamming attempts are rife. Do not accept or trust any "free" giveaways, stay extra vigilant about scammers impersonating our staff, and as always, never share your seed and/or keys with anyone, including Coinomi staff.
Our support will remain available 24/7 as always, to answer any inquires our users might have.