The different Bitcoin Cash development teams did not reach an agreement regarding important consensus changes. Therefore, on November 15, at approximately 4:40UTC (Epoch 15423000000), Bitcoin Cash suffered a hard fork, resulting in separate Bitcoin Cash chains that implement no replay protection between each other: one following the rules of the BitcoinABC implementation, and one following the rules of the BitcoinSV implementation.
30 minutes before the fork Coinomi paused Bitcoin Cash services to protect users from loss of funds. On November 26th, along with a splitting tool we re-enabled sending of coins in the BCH chain that follows the ABC implementation. Your coins were always safe, and any BCH you had prior to the hard fork are now duplicated on the BSV chain.
About replay protection:
There is no replay protection between the BCH (ABC) and the BSV chains. This means that, unless you properly "split" your coins, transactions you make with one of those coins will also be made on the other.
Sending unsplit BCH will result in the same amount of BSV being sent to the same address (and vice-versa). The receiving wallet may not be prepared to accept BSV into their address, so there is a possibility of loss of BSV coins. This is not an issue specific to Coinomi, as any other wallet you use is under the same risk.
We recommend you follow the instructions below fully. It only has to be done once. If you are using Coinomi and followed the steps below to split your coins, there is nothing to fear. You can transact normally, the app is updated and running the latest versions for both coins.
How to split coins:
Splitting is only necessary if you had a positive BCH balance before November 15th. If you received either BCH or BSV after that date, they are most likely already split.
- Update Coinomi to the latest version.
- Open your BCH wallet and select the "Splitter" banner to open the splitting tool
- Select the BCH wallet you want to split. If you have more than one wallet, you will need to repeat the process for each one.
- Select the amount of coins you want to split. We highly recommend you use all funds, to prevent all possibility of transactions being replayed. Do not send less than 2000 satoshi (0.00002 BCH). Amounts less than that will not be split nor refunded.
- Confirm the transaction
- The coins will be sent to our service and mixed with already split coins, then immediately sent back to the same address where they came from. The same will be made with any received BSV that is replayed in that chain. This makes each transaction unique to their respective blockchains, and eliminates future risk of replay attack. A 1% service fee (0.00001 BCH minimum) applies to all conversions.
How to claim BSV coins:
- After your coins are split, open your BCH wallet and select "account details"
- Select and copy the "derivation path" value on the screen that will open. The default is "M/44H/145H/0H", use whatever value you see in your wallet.
- Close the account details screen and open the left side menu. Select "+coins" and then "BitcoinSV".
- Select the white "gear" icon to the right of the coin name (on Android), tap "advanced settings" and on the "Derivation Path" field paste the derivation path you copied on step 2
- Confirm the path, then tap the "+" button to add the wallet (on iOS select "Add Coin").
- This should open the BSV wallet with all the same transaction history and balance as your BCH wallet up to Nov 15th. If you had BCH before the fork but see no BSV transaction history, you most likely entered the derivation path incorrectly. Delete this newly added wallet and restart the claiming process.
- Open the left side menu again, and add a new BSV wallet, this time without changing any settings.
- Copy the "receive" address of that default wallet
- Open the "M/44H/145H/0H" BSV wallet, and send all BSV to the address copied on step 8
- After the transaction confirms, delete the "M/44H/145H/0H" BSV wallet.
Note, just like with splitting, if you have more than one BCH wallets in Coinomi, you will need to repeat the claiming process for each one.
Splitting from other wallets:
If you have coins in a wallet other than Coinomi, you can use our splitting tool via our web service here: https://splitter.coinomi.com/bch-abc-sv
Note that during such forks, scamming attempts are rife. Do not accept or trust any "free" giveaways, stay extra vigilant about scammers impersonating our staff, and as always, never share your seed and/or keys with anyone, including Coinomi staff.
Our support will remain available 24/7 as always, to answer any inquires our users might have.